What Is an Enema Bag and How Do I Use One?
Cleansing of the human body from harmful toxins and other unwholesome components can be done in several ways. One of the most effective and effective options is an enema bag. Using medium or deep bowel lavage through the introduction of a special aqueous composition through the rectum, you can reliably get rid of harmful elements that interfere with maintaining the health of the body. An enema is also a reliable means of “first aid” for poisoning and allergies (you need to consult a doctor). But to use this method, it is important to be able to do an enema at home. Despite the fact that this is a very simple process, there is much to learn. After all, the procedure should not cause discomfort and pain. It is important to get the maximum benefit for the body from this manipulation. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to the following several tips and recommendations.
How to do an enema at home?
So, you decided to try using the enema cleansing technique at home? Then it is important to consider several important points. Before you make an enema at home, it’s worth several times to read about the intricacies of this process, painstakingly approach the choice of an instrument and learn the rules for preparing an aqueous solution. But the main thing that should be paid attention is the study of contraindications. If you have at least one good reason to refuse the procedure, you’d better do it. Usually, all contraindications are temporary in nature. Therefore, you’d better wait for a favorable moment.
Contraindications for enema
You cannot do an enema at home if you have any of the following conditions/diseases:
- body hyperthermia;
- high/low, unstable blood pressure;
- acute, subacute ailments of the intestine and rectum;
- gastrointestinal upset;
- the period of gestation, lactation, menstruation;
- abdominal pain, nausea, dizziness;
- recent heart attacks, strokes;
- renal, liver failure.
Before you do an enema at home, it is important to make sure that your health is normal and none of the above points corresponds to your reality. If there are serious doubts about the admissibility of the procedure at a particular moment, it is worth consulting with a specialist.
What special device is used to administer an enema?
Enema at home is carried out using a special medical device, which is called the “Esmarch’s mug.” This is an enema bag with a rather capacious vessel that can be suspended (this facilitates the setting of an enema at home without the help of specialists). Puzzled by the choice of Esmarch’s mug, it is worth considering options with a transparent plastic tube. The fact is that such an enema option allows you to control the process of fluid supply in a given direction. It is also important to pay attention to the presence of a special tip. This part must be of the correct anatomical shape, which will greatly simplify the procedure and ensure a comfortable introduction. Esmarch’s mug, equipped with an additional rubber tip, is useful for deep bowel washing.
Once you have chosen an acceptable version of Esmarch’s mug, decide on the preparation of the solution.
You can buy Esmarch’s mug at any pharmacy. This item is sold without a prescription.
Volume and quality of enema fluid
The intestines are released with an enema using pure water with the addition of salt (1-2 tbsp. L per 1 liter) or herbal decoctions, a solution of soda. The concentration of the solution, the presence or absence of additional components depends on the goals for which enema is performed. Bowel cleansing is usually done with saline.
The liquid for setting an enema at home should have a temperature close to that which is characteristic of the human body but slightly below this indicator. Too cold or too hot liquid will cause discomfort and can cause pain.
The volume of fluid is calculated taking into account body weight. Usually, it is 1 to 2 liters. If the weight of a person is in the range of 70–80 kilograms, it is enough to take 1.2–1.5 liters of liquid. With a body weight of less than 70 kilograms, 1 liter of solution is enough. With a weight of more than 85 kilograms, you can take up to 2 liters of a liquid composition to cleanse the intestines. If your body weight is below 47 kilograms, before doing an enema at home, you should consult a specialist to identify contraindications and choose the right amount of fluid.
How do you prepare for an enema?
After the necessary Esmarch mug is purchased and the solution is prepared, you can proceed to the procedure. But, like any such manipulation, an enema procedure requires preparation.
- Prepare the tool and fill it with liquid;
- Put the plug – the clamp on the tube and hang the mug at the desired height;
- Prepare the place for the cleaning operation (cover the oilcloth or disposable diaper);
- Treat tips with oil or petroleum jelly;
- Choose a comfortable pose;
- Relax and tune in to positive emotions;
- After making sure that everything is prepared correctly, proceed to the procedure.
How to do an enema at home?
So, it’s time to describe the process of using a cleansing enema bag at home. Everything is very simple. The main thing is to follow simple rules and everything will work out:
- Take the right position and make sure that there is no discomfort. Two poses are suitable for an enema: the knee-elbow and on the side. You need to choose the option that is convenient and easy for you to do in the place where it was decided to carry out the manipulation (we recommend a bathroom);
- Relax and introduce the tip of the enema into the rectum in smooth circular movements (depth of injection 10-12 cm).
- Then you need to release the clamp and clear the way for the fluid;
- During the procedure, you should breathe deeply and evenly. Unpleasant sensations are smoothed out by simple circular movements along the stomach performed by the palm of the hand. If pain occurs, the pressure of the fluid supply should be weakened;
- After filling the intestines with the entire volume of fluid, the tip should be removed. This must be done carefully, smoothly, without jerking;
- Retain fluid in the intestines for up to 15 minutes (at least 5 minutes);
- While waiting, you can try to walk, lie down on your stomach or, if this is not possible, you should stay in a comfortable position (on your side).
- After 15 minutes, empty the intestines.
If two enemas are planned, the interval between 1 and 2 procedures should be at least 60 minutes. The second time you can do an enema only if the intestines are completely empty from the composition of the previous enema. It is also important to pay attention to your own health. Deterioration is a signal that it is better not to carry out the second procedure.
Rules for deep cleansing with an enema bag
If it is necessary to do a deep cleansing of the intestine right up to the cecum, the procedure should be performed in a little different way:
- In this case, an enema is performed in a pose on all fours;
- The tip is inserted to a depth of about 15-20 cm;
- After the introduction of fluid, lie down on your back and raise the pelvis by 15–20 cm;
- The best option is to rise on your shoulders and throw your legs behind your head and fix the pose for 40-60 seconds;
- In parallel, the abdomen should be retracted, tensioned and relaxed;
- Next, you need to smoothly move into the pose of “lying on the right side.” In this position, you need to stay 15 minutes;
- As soon as the urge to defecate intensifies, then it’s time to empty the intestines;
- If the urge does not increase, you should calmly walk around and wait for this moment.
Deep washing is done only after a natural bowel movement. Otherwise, the procedure has low efficiency.
Possible problems and their solutions
Before you do an enema at home, you should make sure several times that you know how to do it correctly. In any case, unforeseen problems may arise. You should not be scared, let alone panic. Read the following rules that may help in this or that case:
- If you feel pain, reduce the pressure of the fluid supply;
- Before starting the procedure, make sure that the water has a temperature close to that which is characteristic of the human body;
- Do not use a liquid with a temperature below 68 and above 104°F;
- Thoroughly lubricate the tip with olive oil or petroleum jelly;
- The tip of the enema should always be entered smoothly, it must be removed with the same smooth movements;
- Do not push and make sudden movements during manipulations with the tip;
- Practice regular bowel cleansing first, and once you gain experience, you can try the deep bowel lavage option;
- Control your muscles in the process. Relax them when necessary, and keep them in good shape in necessary situations;
- It is important to maintain calm and positive emotions throughout the procedure;
- You can reduce the pain with the help of light massage movements in the abdomen and deep breathing;
- Severe pain and discomfort indicate that you are doing something wrong or that there are hidden contraindications to the procedure. In this case, you should stop and analyze the possible options;
- Before cleansing the intestines with an enema bag, the intestines should be emptied naturally.
These rules will help to complete the procedure without problems and consequences. If you have any questions, you should consult your health care provider.